Monday, December 7, 2009

My most prized possession....

Other than my family, of course... I have one favorite item in my home. If my house was on fire, I would run back in for this item.

 I had wanted the Betty Crocker cookbook as a wedding/ shower gift, but I did not receive it. When I was married for about a year, my grandparents, my memere and  pepere, (who btw~ absolutely ROCKED) gave me the cookbook for Christmas. We lived about 3 hours away from them.




After spending Christmas at their house I had returned home and my grandmother had called me;  She  asked me to plan a visit  in the near future for me to bring back the cookbook. She was upset that she did not write in it. I thought this was the silliest thing ever,  but a month later, I made the drive to go visit, and she wrote in my book.






She passed away the following year just a few days before Christmas. That had been my last Christmas with her.

I treasure this book. I miss my grandparents each and every day.......

they were two very special, selfless, loving people




from that beloved cookbook comes this recipe.. a recipe that I make every year, chocolate crinkles....

Ingredients:

2 cups granulated sugar
1/2 cup vegetable oil
2 tsp. vanilla
4 ounce unsweetened chocolate, melted & cooled ( I use bakers' chocolate)
4 eggs
2 cups all purpose flour
2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup powdered sugar




Mix granulated sugar, oil, vanilla, and chocolate. Mix in eggs one at a time. Stir in flour , baking powder & salt. Cover and refrigerate at least  3 hours.

Heat oven to 350 degrees. Drop dough by teaspoonful into powdered sugar ; roll around to coat . Shape into balls. Place about 2 inches on greased cookie sheet. Bake until almost no indentation remains when touched... 10-12 minutes.







now, I have to be honest and let you know that despite the fact that I make these annually, I've never had them come out correctly. Until this year :)
Last year the looked beautiful, but could break a tooth. I used it as my centerpiece for my cookie party because they looked pretty, but we had to put up a sign that said
'for display only'


thank you for letting me share my memory with you..... I think that this story has much to do with my passion for cooking....

on another note..... I am SO excited for tomorrow's cookie!!!!

I am practically bursting at the seams!!!!!!

thanks for reading!

oxox ~michelle

2 comments: