Sunday, December 6, 2009

Ok... so not REALLY a cookie..


Today was my husband's 98 year young grandmother's Christmas party



 Given the fact that I was a bit tight for time... I decided to make toffee!!!

Once again I went to my old trusty wooden box to dig out a hand-written recipe card. This is such a great recipe... it just goes to show how a few simple ingredients can morph into something wonderful!!





The Recipe :.... You need a candy thermometer for this.... it is well worth the small investment

1 cup butter cut into small pieces
1 cup dark brown sugar ( I had light brown, so I used that)
2 TBSP water
1 cup finely chopped almonds
3/4 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips


Combine butter, brown sugar & water in a saucepan. When sugar is dissolved, whisk in 1/2 cup of the almonds.  Insert candy thermometer & cook until the thermometer reaches the 'hard crack' *giggle* stage.. 290-300 degrees.

When hard crack stage is reached, pour onto parchment paper-lined cookie sheet. ( be careful.. it is VERY hot) Add chocolate chips & allow to melt for a minute. Use a spatula to spread all around. Add remaining almonds while still hot.

Allow to cool. ( I live in the northeast & since it was freezing out today, I was able to go to my 'deep freeze (my porch *grin* ) & the toffee hardened in no time.



yes, I took a corner off of the sheet.. I *had* to make sure that it was hard enough!!!

I then took a VERY scientific method of turning this sheet into little pieces of mouth-watering perfection... my hands!!!! I broke it all up &





VOILA!!!!!  perfection ....

I am so going to gain weight creating this blog........


If you visit, please let me know.... AND...... I will happily take suggestions for your favorite cookies.
 hint~ tomorrow's cookie has to do with chocolate!!!

oxoxo ~michelle

1 comment: